SAMS is the largest network of professional musicians presenting customized concerts in health care settings in Quebec. As an NPO, present throughout the province, it brings the benefits of music to vulnerable, elderly or health care patients through musical performances by professional artists.
This project was inspired by the Health Arts Society (HAS) project founded in 2006 in British Columbia. Since 2009, La SAMS has presented more than 9,000 concerts in 650 institutions: hospitals, residential and long-term care centers (CHSLD), seniors' residences, rehabilitation centers, mental health institutes and palliative care facilities.
With nearly 1,000 concerts a year, more than 200 professional artists reach out to vulnerable audiences to bring happiness, comfort and kindness. The impact of music on physical and mental health is now widely proven by numerous studies.
La SAMS is aregistered charity. (No. 844005454 RR 0001)
La SAMS in figures
years of operation
people affected by our action
Frequently asked questions
- Are the artists giving the concerts paid? Yes
- Why are artists paid? Shouldn't they give the concerts voluntarily? Concerts at La SAMS are professional events and performed on a regular basis. It is therefore appropriate and necessary that the work of La SAMS 's partner artists be paid.
- La SAMS is active throughout Quebec? La SAMS currently presents live concerts almost everywhere in Quebec: in Montreal, Laval, the Capitale-Nationale region, Montérégie, Estrie, Mauricie, Chaudière-Appalaches, Outaouais, the Laurentians, Lanaudière, Bas Saint-Laurent and the North Shore. With its virtual initiatives, it can be present wherever there is internet access.
- What kind of music is offered? Concerts at La SAMS cover a variety of styles: from Western classical music, jazz, opera to world music. Whenever possible, we are happy to accommodate your specific musical needs for celebrations, themes or special requests.
- How is La SAMS funded? The majority of our funding comes from donations we receive, public grants and self-generated income. As a registered charity, La SAMS can issue tax receipts to its donors.
- What should an artist interested in presenting a concert with La SAMS know? At the moment, La SAMS offers concerts of classical, jazz, singer-songwriter (pre-1970s) and world music as mentioned above. The musical formations include professional solo, duo and trio artists. Concerts at La SAMS take place throughout the year, day and evening, weekdays and weekends. Concerts are usually 45 minutes long. Each year, La SAMS receives several applications from artists interested in presenting a concert. Because of the limited capacity, certain groups or types of instruments may be given preference.
- Do you need volunteers? Yes, La SAMS needs volunteers for its Montreal office and for its benefit activities. If you are interested, please contact us.